Tax Resources

Tax time can be complicated for everyone, but especially for ministers of religion and other called workers. 

Because we care about you and your financial well-being, we’ve collected some valuable resources to help you prepare for tax time.

Tax Resources

LCMS Tax Resources 

The following information is provided by the LCMS: 

  • LCMS Taxes and Ministers Guide - This guide includes important information about taxes including: the IRS definition of minister, W-2s vs 1099s, housing/parsonage allowance, paying federal and state taxes, and more. You can also access this guide by visiting the LCMS Church and School Administration Page, and go to the Financial Matters section, and then under the “Manual for Congregational Treasurers” heading, select “Taxes and Ministers.”
  • Congregational Treasurers Complete Manual - Chapters one and two contain important details about taxes and housing allowance. 

Need Tax Help?

Contact Pam Palmer, Director Tax & Compliance, at [email protected] or 314-996-1441.

Concordia Plans Tax Resources 

Documents to help you with taxes, specifically regarding taxes and your benefits:

  • Benefits for Called Workers - Learn more about the additional benefits for called workers if you save in the Concordia Retirement Savings Plan 403(b).
  • Steps to Consider When Filing Your Taxes - Helpful hints to consider when filing your taxes. 
  • Northern Trust: FAQ about 1099-Rs - This resource provides retirees with information about the 2022 transition to Northern Trust as our retirement benefit processor and gives specific information about taxes and 1099-Rs. 
  • Note: Designation of Housing Allowance for the Concordia Retirement Plan Benefits 
    Called workers can designate their CRP pension as housing allowance, up to certain limits. 
  • Note: Designation of Housing Allowance and the Concordia Retirement Savings Plan 403(b)
    Ministers of religion are allowed to exclude eligible housing expenses from the CRSP 403(b) distributions, up to certain limits. CRSP 403(b) funds rolled into the CRP pension are also eligible as housing allowance, however, a rollover distribution from the CRSP 403(b) to an IRA or other eligible qualified plan will remove the opportunity for the housing exclusion of any subsequent distributions from that IRA or qualified plan. 

Additional Resources

  • IRS Publication 517 - This IRS publication contains information for Ministers.
  • IRS Form 1040-ES - This document helps self-employed individual determine and pay their estimated taxes.