If your organization would like to start a walking contest, just follow the steps below and use the materials provided to get your workers started on their wellness journey – One Step at a Time!
- Purchase pedometers for your group. Here are several sources for purchasing affordable pedometers:
(Suggestion: You may want to purchase extras in case a pedometer gets lost or broken.)
- Divide your group into teams (use the “Walking Teams List” document). Print out the team list to distribute to your group along with the other materials.
- Personalize (with your organization’s name, dates of contest, etc.) and print the “One Step at a Time!” kick-off document to hand out to everyone in your group.
- Print copies of the “Activities to Steps Conversion Chart” document for your group.
- After team leaders and team names are established, send a copy of the “Notes to Team Leaders” document to each leader.
- E-mail a copy of the “Daily Posting Sheet” excel spreadsheet to each leader for recording the individual team member steps.
- Assign someone to be the recorder of all the team totals.
- E-mail a copy of the “Walking Team Totals” excel spreadsheet to your recorder.
- Decide on prizes to be awarded the winning team or teams.
One Step at a Time! (Word doc)
Walking Teams List (Word doc)
Activities to Steps Conversion Chart
The “Be” Attitudes of Walking
Team Leader Note (Word doc)
Daily Posting Sheet — Team Captain (Excel)
Walking Team Totals (Excel)
Administrator Totals Sheet (Word doc)
Team Leader Weekly Posting (Word doc)
Individual Daily Posting (Word doc)
Top 10 Reasons to Walk (also available in larger size)
Post signs around your building to promote walking with slogans such as:
“Walking is the most ancient exercise and still the best modern exercise.” (click here for pdf)
“Walk, don’t Roll”
“Don’t let the machines win, take the stairs.” (Post near an elevator.) (click here for pdf)
“Walking is a man's best medicine.” ~ Hippocrates (click here for pdf)
“I am a slow walker, but I never walk backwards.” ~ Abraham Lincoln
“The civilized man has built a coach, but has lost the use of his feet.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.” ~ Steven Wright
“Of all exercises, walking is the best.” ~ Thomas Jefferson (click here for pdf)
“People say that losing weight is no walk in the park. When I hear that I think, yeah, that's the problem.” ~Chris Adams
“The best remedy for a short temper is a long walk.” ~ Jacqueline Schiff (click here for pdf)
“After dinner sit awhile, after supper walk a mile.” ~ English Proverb
“If you want to know if your brain is flabby, feel your legs.” ~ Bruce Barton
“An early-morning walk is a blessing for the whole day” ~ Henry David Thoreau (click here for pdf)